We hope to be back out on site in 2016....watch this space....
The Cromarty Medieval Burgh Community Archaeology Project is open to all volunteers from age 6 up. No previous experience is necessary, and there is plenty of supervision on-site from archeologistis happy to pass on skills!
There are many ways to get involved on the site other than excavation. Volunteers can also help with on-site planning, photography, surveying and artefact cleaning and processing. This summer we will also be holding a programme of hands-on activities for children.
What to expect:
- Each day will run from 9:30am until 5:00pm
- Training for new diggers will start each day at 9:45am
- Childrens activities will start at 10:00am each day; with the afternoon sessions at 2:00pm
- Morning break at 11:00am, lunch at 1:00pm and afternoon break at 3:00pm
- Site tours will be held twice daily, at 11.00am and 2.00pm
What to bring:
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Sun cream and hat
- Lunch and drinks
- Sturdy shoes (not sandals)
- If you have them: trowel, kneeling pad, gloves
A list of self catering and B&B accommodation is available here. Please note that camping on the Cromarty Links will NOT be possible this year.
Volunteering isn't all hard work - there is plenty of time for fun too!